Water Pump Removal: How to get past the Bottom Bracket?

Hello guys. Before I tear into this water pump I want to make sure it is "broke." So, we drove to Harpers Ferry, WV this weekend and it was hot outside. The temp gauge went up and I pulled over. Sure enough coolant was low so I added back to full. On the way home car still getting hot but only when slowing down or stopped. Also, car seems to "bog" down (not normal) in 5th with AC on and gets a little hotter going up those hills. AC blows cold, Heat blows hot with no leaks in floor board etc. So...95% sure it is not the heater core. Today, coolant full. Started, heard clicking sound "near" the water pump. Coolant leaking from that general area at start up...not much but a small green puddle on the ground. Car warms up, leak stops, clicking stops. Does not leak a drop as long as she is warm. Anyways...seems like the water pump to me.

Hello guys. Before I tear into this water pump I want to make sure it is "broke." So, we drove to Harpers Ferry, WV this weekend and it was hot outside. The temp gauge went up and I pulled over. Sure enough coolant was low so I added back to full. On the way home car still getting hot but only when slowing down or stopped. Also, car seems to "bog" down (not normal) in 5th with AC on and gets a little hotter going up those hills. AC blows cold, Heat blows hot with no leaks in floor board etc. So...95% sure it is not the heater core. Today, coolant full. Started, heard clicking sound "near" the water pump. Coolant leaking from that general area at start up...not much but a small green puddle on the ground. Car warms up, leak stops, clicking stops. Does not leak a drop as long as she is warm. Anyways...seems like the water pump to me.
Can you see exactly where the leak is? I also have a 3.8 in a Mustang and the original water pump was leaking at a deteriorated gasket & it was hard to figure out but that's what it was. I used a cheap borescope camera to get up in there and locate the source of the coolant leak. No overheating or clicking sound (bearing?) as I kept the coolant jug full before replacing it finally.

Can you see exactly where the leak is? I also have a 3.8 in a Mustang and the original water pump was leaking at a deteriorated gasket & it was hard to figure out but that's what it was. I used a cheap borescope camera to get up in there and locate the source of the coolant leak. No overheating or clicking sound (bearing?) as I kept the coolant jug full before replacing it finally.
Alrui I think it is coming for the "weeping" hole. As soon as I can get it up on the jack, I will take a picture of it. Should show signs of rusting etc if so. I believe if it were a "gasket" it would leak all the time. Especially with coolant.

I don't disagree, in all my years of dealing with Fords only that 3.8 had a gasket failure & not the seal allowing coolant to leak from the weep hole.

I don't disagree, in all my years of dealing with Fords only that 3.8 had a gasket failure & not the seal allowing coolant to leak from the weep hole.
Sir, you are right. It is a leak. The clanking noise was rocks and crude in the plastic shroud over the harmonic balancer...."I think."

Attachments

• 0615222039.jpg
    0615222039.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0615222039a.jpg
    0615222039a.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 0615222038b.jpg
    0615222038b.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 15
Well, bad news it is not the water pump. It is something above it...not good.
Could be your thermostat housing gasket, or one of the bypass hoses that come off it. Something with the thermostat might help explain the running hot. You might consider renting a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone or equivalent.

Well gents it appears it is the timing xhain cover gasket. After searching this forum it seems to be the culprit. I have the auto zone rental tester and it leaks enough now while it is running. In the picture I tightened that 15 mm nut on the stud (just a bit) and the leak got worse!...So there ya go. Couple questions.

#1: Which timing chain cover gasket should I get?
#2: Could the whole timing chain cover be "shot" with corrosion.
#3: I like working on this car and I have plenty of time off work. Are there any crazy tools or gotchas I should worry about? I saw the warning about the allen bolt thats kinda hidden.

Thanks a bunch...fun fun.

Attachments

• 0616221514a.jpg
    0616221514a.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 10
Well gents it appears it is the timing xhain cover gasket. After searching this forum it seems to be the culprit. I have the auto zone rental tester and it leaks enough now while it is running. In the picture I tightened that 15 mm nut on the stud (just a bit) and the leak got worse!...So there ya go. Couple questions.

#1: Which timing chain cover gasket should I get?
#2: Could the whole timing chain cover be "shot" with corrosion.
#3: I like working on this car and I have plenty of time off work. Are there any crazy tools or gotchas I should worry about? I saw the warning about the allen bolt thats kinda hidden.

Thanks a bunch...fun fun.
#1 = FelPro
#2 = could be but doubtful if it's had good coolant in it all the time
#3 = not sure as I've never had mine apart on the SC - do you have the Ford shop manual?

#1 = FelPro
#2 = could be but doubtful if it's had good coolant in it all the time
#3 = not sure as I've never had mine apart on the SC - do you have the Ford shop manual?
you read my mind I was about to buy the $29 off ebay....LOL. I have a 1991. I want to video it and take good pics to post on a youtube page.

I've had 2 that the cover had corroded at gasket/mounting surface.
They were non repairable. Hopefully that's not your issue.

Thats's the problem, unless you've owned from new, hard to know
what cooling system maintenance its had.

It's been a while since I worked on the 3.8L SC, but you might want to search on here for the process for removing the harmonic balancer. And look it over carefully while you have it off, as the rubber bond between the two sections is a known failure point.

I've had 2 that the cover had corroded at gasket/mounting surface.
They were non repairable. Hopefully that's not your issue.

Thats's the problem, unless you've owned from new, hard to know
what cooling system maintenance its had.
Doug, I guess my question is...looking the gasket online...why does the fluid just come out that bottom passenger side? Looking at the pictures on a unit on ebay and a new gasket on amazon it would seem the coolant would just fall out all over the harmonic balancer area?

I may have 1 of the old covers still, I'll have to dig it out & refresh my memory of the cooling passages.
I'll post pic's If I find it, but I hope thats not your issue.

In 1 of your previous post's did you not think the leak was from above the pump?

Back