What are my options for shocks?

sd_iconoclast

I have an '89 SC with the adjustable ride. I don't think I have ever changed the shocks. I can't seem to find the electrically adjustable shocks anywhere. Can mine be rebuilt?
Are there other options?

SC shocks have been discontinued for quite sometime and I don't believe they are rebuildable. Your only options are using regular shocks for an LX.

The front shocks on my 89 SC started failing while it was still in warranty and Ford was not able to find any problem. I was not able to locate any OEM replacements then or of late. My guess is that you would have to replace all four shocks to get the best ride.

I bought 3 pairs of NOS strut's-(2 Motorcraft & 1 Ford) & 4 pairs of shocks (2 Ford &2 Motorcraft if I remember correctly)back in 2000-2001 I think.
I'd have to look at reciept. I know it was $2,200.00 . I had 2 XR-7's & 2 S/C's at the time. I needed a pair of each for a Cougar & once I found out at local dealer that was all that was showing in North America, I told him to get them all. I needed some right then & figured the other cars would at some point. I think the Motorcraft one's came with all the bushings/hardware & the Ford ones's didn't. Might have been the other way around.

I dont know what there shelf life was meant to be? I still have a pair of each, but last time I looked 2-3 years ago, they were starting to"sweat" near the seal surfaces. Maybe the gas has leaked off? I store the standing up or on their ends.

Someone posted something a while back saying that he found that the front shocks from a 350Z fit the SC with very minor modifications to the lower clevis of the shock. I think he had to open up the mounting hole and spread the clevis very slightly. The top supposedly bolts right up. It doesn't accomodate the ARC, but if true, it should open the door to a whole lot of performance options. I have no doubt the 350Z would have much more aftermarket support.
I just received a pair of OEM SC front shocks to complete a full set of 4. I plan to experiment with making them rebuildable. It'll be a while before I can get to it, but it's gonna be an interesting project. I'm going to try to make the best of all the connections I made in my racing career to make it happen. We'll see how it goes.

Someone posted something a while back saying that he found that the front shocks from a 350Z fit the SC with very minor modifications to the lower clevis of the shock. I think he had to open up the mounting hole and spread the clevis very slightly. The top supposedly bolts right up. It doesn't accomodate the ARC, but if true, it should open the door to a whole lot of performance options. I have no doubt the 350Z would have much more aftermarket support.
I just received a pair of OEM SC front shocks to complete a full set of 4. I plan to experiment with making them rebuildable. It'll be a while before I can get to it, but it's gonna be an interesting project. I'm going to try to make the best of all the connections I made in my racing career to make it happen. We'll see how it goes.
Keep us posted. There's has to be interchangeable parts from other cars that we can make fit in our cars. I still have oem shocks and would like to keep it that way.

I'd like to stay with the OE shocks also. I hope you can make this happen.

Back