What do people say about your Super Coupe?

What do you hear the most from people when they see your Super Coupe?

• I have a Super Coupe too! (Or MN12)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I knew/know a guy who had a 90’s Thunderbird like this (or SC)

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I used to have a Thunderbird (MN12 and/or SC)

Votes: 17 41.5%
  • Is it a 5-speed?

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • This is faster than a Mustang and/or Buick GN, right?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Are you selling it?

• Is this a Turbo Coupe?

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Why do you have more than one?

• LOOK, A SUPER CHICKEN!

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Nice Firebird.

Votes: 5 12.2%

• Total voters

Rick_Leuce

I recently moved to Wisconsin and I’ve taken my Super Coupes to a few car shows. I’m beginning to notice a pattern of things that people tend to say about my car and I was wondering if anyone else here can relate. I’ve seriously heard all of these responses before, I’m just curious if anyone else has too and how often. If you have a response you’d like to share, I’d love to hear it.

I’m just doing a little fun research to figure out what a Super Coupe means to people nowadays.
Thanks in advance!

Most people that have asked about my car have no clue what the Super Coupe version is I've only ever seen 3 other ones in my area and I'm a locksmith so I drive all over town (in my work van) all day everyday and of course I notice every 80/90s cars or trucks I pass I rarely see thunderbirds and when I do it's either my wife (97 lx) or some other than SC bird that's usually in terrible shape but another thing I get asked or told about my SC is commonly when I say they came super charged the response is usually I didn't know they had a super charged v8 back then

Car show last week was open entry to everything show car...not manufacture based. 400 cars or so. Cruise in style show.

Usually I get "I haven't seen one of these in years! Or My buddy had one in high school/college!"

Had good conversations with some Contour SVT owners...their ownership and lack of fanfare might rival ours.

Some things I heard over the weekend...

What is it I am even looking at?(engine bay)...least the guy was honest.

I also noticed many people had to reference the dash plaque to know what it was. One person cheated and read the back bumper to know what it was and joyfully shouted "It's a Thunderbird!"

Only serious conversation I had was an 81 year old man, wife just passed she had a 95 LX 3.8 they purchased new. Spoke to him for 30mins, I was mostly an outlet for him to remember his wife. Had no clue what an SC trimed bird was...think he was trying to sell his wife's car to me but I never acknowledged the ques.

I like the sleeper aspects of the car tho so it was fine, made me realize I need some sort of show board...just assumed people knew. Definately not the car to own if you're looking for fan fair at a show.

-Tim

Mine has not hit the road since I've had it but one day last fall while I was working on it in the driveway a man walked by with his dog who I had not seen before or since (there are lots of routine dog walkers in my neighborhood) who knew exactly what it was and told me about the anniversary edition SC that he used to own. It was a cool moment.

Car show last week was open entry to everything show car...not manufacture based. 400 cars or so. Cruise in style show.

Usually I get "I haven't seen one of these in years! Or My buddy had one in high school/college!"

Had good conversations with some Contour SVT owners...their ownership and lack of fanfare might rival ours.

Some things I heard over the weekend...

What is it I am even looking at?(engine bay)...least the guy was honest.

I also noticed many people had to reference the dash plaque to know what it was. One person cheated and read the back bumper to know what it was and joyfully shouted "It's a Thunderbird!"

Only serious conversation I had was an 81 year old man, wife just passed she had a 95 LX 3.8 they purchased new. Spoke to him for 30mins, I was mostly an outlet for him to remember his wife. Had no clue what an SC trimed bird was...think he was trying to sell his wife's car to me but I never acknowledged the ques.

I like the sleeper aspects of the car tho so it was fine, made me realize I need some sort of show board...just assumed people knew. Definately not the car to own if you're looking for fan fair at a show.

-Tim
new YT episode in the making?

When I see someone looking at mine, I approach him and start a conversation with, "Did you have one or did you know someone who did?" I'd say at least 95% of the time, they fit into one of those two categories. The only people who look at these things are people who are familiar with them.
I've been showing mine for several years and after winning 29 awards, I finally, for the first time, got an award at a show that was based on popular vote. All of my other awards have come from judges. MN12 events don't count. Everybody there knows these things. lol
Thing is, I don't care what people think about it because I love it! MN12s are awesome, very underrated cars. Anyone who owns one should be proud.

The comment that I've overheard at shows or just in a parking lot more then once for both the Super coupes & XR-7's is "look it's a 5 speed. No way a car this big came with that-he must've swapped it from a mustang"

You should have had the comment, "What is it?"

That is the comment I hear the most at car shows around here. Out of 5 years worth of summer car shows I have had 1 guy who knew what it was and why was that? Because he owned 1.

Most common is.... they know a guy or have an uncle who used to have one. They are also always super fast and capable of beating everything else in town.

I gave my buddy a ride in mine last night. He said he didn't know cars like it still existed. He thought maybe "cash for clunkers" got all of them. He thought the car was really cool. He said it has been a long time since he'd rode around with a buddy in a big 2 door coupe like that. Definitely was a nostalgic experience for him. He was also surprised by the non whiplash preventing headrests. We had a fun little joyride in the 90s time capsule.

Had my 35th SC in for new tires yesterday. A women in her sixties complimented my for my "nice old car." Maybe it's me, but I do not think the SC looks "old," especially with the slick aerodynamics. On the other hand I had one new and maybe I just don't want to think of MYSELF as old!

Had my 35th SC in for new tires yesterday. A women in her sixties complimented my for my "nice old car." Maybe it's me, but I do not think the SC looks "old," especially with the slick aerodynamics. On the other hand I had one new and maybe I just don't want to think of MYSELF as old!
You didn't give us any info on the lady other than her age, but maybe she's trying to tell you that you look like someone who appreciates timeless beauty!

I like the look of the late 80s/90s cars too. I think they had a progressive, modern look, that the retro cars that are popular now do not have. I think it will age better than the retro look (think PT Cruiser) Just my 2 cents.

A few years ago, when I was home for Christmas, I gave my brother a copy of the calendar. I was proudly showing my car in it. My niece, 14 years old at the time, said "It's so old!" At that point, i figured it might be time for me to join AARP. lol (I was only 51 at the time)

So in the 4 1/2 years I've had my SC and the 10 years I've had a 97 lx my mother in law still calls it a firebird

People have no clue what they are....I kind of like that actually....You sure don't see yourself coming and going on the road!

Back