What do these codes mean?

NoahF2001

I have a 90 xr7 3.8 sc that won’t start. I got codes 67 and 85. 67 is because I bypassed the neutral safety switch. But I have no idea what 85 is.

I have fuel pressure, I’ve got spark on the coil, throttle body isnt stuck but it won’t start. I’ve tried using brake clean as starting fluid nothing. I’m confused lol

I like this chart for SC codes:
85OCanister Purge circuit failure

That is part of the emissions system. Fumes from the gas tank are fed into a charcoal canister inside the right fender, behind the headlight. When the car is started, that valve is opened and the fumes are then passed to the engine so they can be burned off.

Unless there is a very large engine vacuum leak at the valve on the canister, it shouldn't keep it from at least trying to fire.

Where are you on this no-start check:

Is it possible, that because he wired the ign. switch directly to the starter solonoid , that now the ecm doesn't get the signal to enter start mode? Doesn't adjust fuel trims/rates & timing accordingly to start.

Anything is possible ;)

I know that with the small red push-on connector left loose at the fender solenoid, the engine will start with key on if you jumper from bat. + to the stud. So, I think it mainly depends on exactly how the bypass was done if any other circuits were compromised. I'd have to eyes on, of course, to be sure.

I'm the first one to bypass for testing, if no other choice, but the chances of opening a blackhole are too high when done casually.

All we can do is keep things simple, try not to join runs down the rabbit hole and hope that at the least, such efforts are at least learning experiences.

It was just a theory, I know the ecm recieve's a signal when starter circuit is energized-thats how it knows to enable clear flood mode. Cuts off fuel when starter engaged with w.o.t. signal. I asked NoahF2001 in his other post about bypassing the neutral safety switch. He didn't even realize he had.

Anything is possible ;)

I know that with the small red push-on connector left loose at the fender solenoid, the engine will start with key on if you jumper from bat. + to the stud. So, I think it mainly depends on exactly how the bypass was done if any other circuits were compromised. I'd have to eyes on, of course, to be sure.

I'm the first one to bypass for testing, if no other choice, but the chances of opening a blackhole are too high when done casually.

All we can do is keep things simple, try not to join runs down the rabbit hole and hope that at the least, such efforts are at least learning experiences.
I doubt it has to do with that, because like you said you can jump it with a screwdriver and start it. It is mainly for testing purposes lmao I’ll rewire everything later but idk why it’s not starting. And it shouldn’t have anything to do with that. There’s code 85 I have no idea what it means. I can’t find it anywhere online.

Guys at the shop we’re saying it could be clogged injectors. But I doubt every last one of them is.

KMT explained that 85 is circuit fault for fuel vapor purge & it should not cause a no start.
Everyone here has given you valid advise & supplied diagram's as well as diagnostic procedures on both your post's & you've chose not to follow any of it.

If you don't trust our advise or that of anyone you work with at a Ford dealer, then I predict you'll
continue to struggle. Good luck.

Back