what would u say abouit 87

kevenj90sc

Premium vs. Regular - - this debate always makes me smile. What is the point of running 87 anyway? What is the price difference, maybe 15 cents a gallon? (only a dime where I live). So if you drive 12,000 miles a year, and average 18 mpg, you are going to spend $100 a YEAR more for premium. That's $8.33 A MONTH! Well worth it to me to avoid a bunch of broken pistons.

Stay out of boost? Anyone ever actually tried that? Sure you can avoid MAX boost pretty easily but when I had my SC (stock 1990) just normal driving (ok MY normal driving) and merging onto the freeway it was always going into boost at least a little bit.

Bottom line, run the right gas.

darkstar_one

pull both octane plugs! one by were that picture showed ya. and the other by the AC compressor. mines didnt retard until i pulled both of em...

pablon2

SCCoA Member
If you are not gonna run the car the way Ford and SCCOA suggests then why visit SCCOA? You are wasting people's time.

Merlon

its pretty basic here.

you feel attacked by now, but all were trying to say is, its really not worth putting in 87. yes you can. but if you want to have a nice idle, a set of HGs that last longer than your old ones, spend the extra money.

sooner or later something bad is going to happen to that car if you really run 87 all the time. a few tanks over the last 3 years isnt too bad. but it almost sounds like you came here looking for someone telling you that 87 is okay, well its not. and yes, pulling the timing spout(octane plug) is something your going to have to do with a tank of 87, meaning less MPG, less HP, and if you really want that thats your choice.

but i believe that the question youve asked has been answered. Use 91+ (91 is supreme in cali:( ) use it all the time, if your ever in the boonies with only 87 yes you can use it, but pull the octane plug.

hope i helped a little, but pretty much it looks like you got flammed because you were bieng a little hard headed.

ps...try not to take the cheap way out in these cars, that tends to leave you on the side of a freeway stranded with another borke down ford...

this car cost $$$ to maintain. premium plugs, premium gas, premium parts, because its supercharged with (dont quote me) 8.1:1 compression... s

David Neibert

SCCoA Admin
im not sayin im not takin ther advise but that is a timing spout so when your adjusting your timing

Wrong...the timing spout is located up near the AC compressor and DIS module, the picture is of the octane plug...pulling it retards total timing 4 degrees.

David

92sclikenew

it was just a ? i had cuz yea i have put it in ther not alot not even a tank worth maybe in the whole time i have owned my sc that it might have been a whole 3 tanks and i only blew my head gaskets cuz i was piss at my gf and i got on the freeway with no OD and got up 1 115 and nothing but white smoke yea i was dumb but its fun lol and im bot pissed at what u guys are saying cuz it is true and im not sayin i dont belive u i wanted 2 see how many ppl had probs and what the effets were of runing 87 sorry on the bad post dont hate me now and think i am runing 87 octain in my car cuz im not :eek: :eek:

fturner

Nobody is gonna hate you.... its just one of those things that if you start argueing back on suggestions from others, your gonna get hammered for it ;).

I know there's might be a day I'll accidently fill my SC with 87 as my daily driver is the LX......

What you do need to do when posting, is give as much information as you can the first time, and make it clear and concise.

turbospeed

whenever i couldnt afford gas , i would put 87 and remove the supercharger belt , yes it was a pig , but it bougth me 2-4mpg , and cheaper gas.

91supacoop

Nobody is gonna hate you.... its just one of those things that if you start argueing back on suggestions from others, your gonna get hammered for it ;).

I know there's might be a day I'll accidently fill my SC with 87 as my daily driver is the LX......

What you do need to do when posting, is give as much information as you can the first time, and make it clear and concise.
And use punctuation.

Scott Long

SCCoA Member
In the winter I usually pull the jackshaft belt so the supercharger isn't spinning and the octane plug and then I run 87 octane in it. If the supercharger isn't spinning there's no way to get into boost and detonate, and the timing is retarded due to the octane plug. I know the octane plug pulls timing. I ran 2 passes at the shootout without it plugged in, then I plugged it back in and picked up 2mph in my trap speed which means more horsepower.

Around here in the winter it's good to not have the supercharger because you can lose the rear end even with the smallest amount of boost on snow/ice. I even have a set of winter tires on stock wheels I swap on.

But I'd never run 87 w/ the octane plug and sc spinning. Not smart. Around here you can find gas stations that sell 87 and 89 for the same price so I usually get 89 in the winter. It's probably all 87 but who knows.

Blown 91 Bird

i ran 87 in mine w/ octane plug pulled when 93 was $3.50/gl :rolleyes: Found my car would only start detonating over 3lbs of boost. Was quite easy to keep the car below 3lbs on flat land.

I notice no difference in gas mileage or how the car runs under normal driving condition's between 87 and 93... but what do i know :rolleyes:

92sclikenew

well this is off the topic kind of but the car will run without the supercharger belt i did not know that and if so is ther any long term probs that are known of

Blown 91 Bird

well this is off the topic kind of but the car will run without the supercharger belt i did not know that and if so is ther any long term probs that are known of

there shouldnt be any problems down the road for not running the blower for a period of time. a supercharged motor will run without the blower spinning, it just turns into a big restriction instead of a improvement. When the bearings went out in my old paxton blower on my mustang i drove the car around for about 2 weeks with the blower on it and no belt. Didnt notice any unusual performance.

ben m

well we have a bypass in the back of our blowers that compensate during non boost situations, i think that is were it goes through when the 'charger is unhooked.

Grims95SC

If someone, anybody, can't afford 91+ octane, they won't be able to afford a SC. That few extra $ a month will be nothing compared to all the other problems we have.