What's the current state of availability on parts/rebuilders for the Teves Mk ii ABS?

sizemoremk

So what is the current state on the availability of parts/rebuilders for the Teves Mk ii ABS?

I swapped out the non-ABS some time ago in my 90; it seemed that issues with the ABS units were getting quite common and also seemed that many had spent lots of money on re-manned units/accumulators/pumps and had little luck with the remanned units or parts...

I'm curious if maybe the large number of cars that had these units ever gained any better aftermarket support? These things are in Ford/GMs/SAABS/BMWs/ferarris... Seems like some company would have capitalized on this void by now?

I'm actually asking because my son is kinda interested in a 1988 Turbocoupe for sale locally which also used the Teves Mk ii unit. It is advertised as running good, but will require towing due to bad brakes. Assuming the rest of the car were to check out OK, how likely would I be to get the ABS working properly with enough peace of mind to let a first time driver behind its wheel?

I really like the idea of ABS on a kids first car. I know it is not a replacement for good driving practices, but I feel like it is a good safety measure. I actually traded for a nice 1966 F100 for him but after driving it myself a few thousand miles this year, I have decided that he has no business in it for a first vehicle. It is crazy easy to lock up the brakes in that truck... He's driven it a little in an abandoned parking lot a few times, and I had him in the habit of pumping brakes for a panic stop (which was me randomly hollering OH CRAP STOP!)... But still, doesn't seem remotely safe.

He's a weird kid, I floated the idea of a early 2000 mustang (because of Airbags and ABS) and he was not really interested in that; most kids would be all over it. He likes the foxbody mustangs and apparently this 88 Turbocoupe. I got time to decide, but just wanting feel out the idea of the turbocoupe...

Thanks!

AFIAK, the only new part that is available is the accumulator (Victor ~ http://spinningwheels-sc.com - last time he had stock the price was reasonable, I think)

The main item that would need a rebuild is usually the hyd. pump/motor and I don' think we have a good source for them.

The normal consumables are the system relays...off the shelf, usually.

These were two-channel systems, obsoleted by more modern hardware over the years - the aftermarket is after bigger fish, numbers wise - the pressure switch on the ARC side is a good example of where we're left out. We have the Mk II roughly in common with some Jags, Saabs and the occasional Rover, I think. They can be picked for motors and used accumulators if you get really hard up.

See: http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?121203-Which-ABS-motors-will-work&highlight=saab

Last edited:
This company rebuilds them... SIA Electronics

http://0343881.netsolstores.com/index.aspx

I recently converted to traditional brakes and pulled my ABS unit out. It worked when I removed it. I decided to remove it because I felt safer without the electric motor providing the hydraulic pressure. I had an intermittent ABS light that I believe was a harness problem. I just got fed up messing around with it. I had it rebuilt by the company listed about two years ago and a new accumulator at the same time. That being said, I am open to selling my old unit if you want it, but shipping will be expensive.

If you are worried about your son needing ABS to keep him safe, then I suggest you find him a more modern car with a better ABS system.

In Dallas is Jose Nunez, The ABS Tech. 214-579-7846. He rebuilds the ABS units and the motors. He also has new accumulator balls and high pressure switches in stock but they are pricey.

In Dallas is Jose Nunez, The ABS Tech. 214-579-7846. He rebuilds the ABS units and the motors. He also has new accumulator balls and high pressure switches in stock but they are pricey.

If anyone can post at least a rebuild quote and /or review of his services it would be awesome. I don't even own a car with the mark II system now...but probably will in the future.

The State of Affairs for Teves MkII repair in 2021

Hello from BC Canada
I'm a Merkur Scorpio owner who found this group while searching for ABS info.
Does anyone know if Jose Nunez in Dallas still repairs these units?
I haven't tried calling the number yet..I just found it today (Sunday) so I'll be making that call tomorrow.
I just thought this tread should be revived in case a new SC owner or other MK2 vehicle owner stumbles on this.

Thanks
Steve

I believe he does

I have not spoke to him personally, but some on the site had a unit rebuild a few back.
Rock auto offers a rebuild service as well.

Here's something that may be of interest....https://www.ebay.com/itm/224032231590?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

Advertised as ABS pump for Jags ...I have purchased one and will compare to my Merkur Scorpio pump. Stay tuned for pics. It may help SC owners.

Best
Steve

Also I had a question...somewhere I stumbled on a thread about rebuilding the pump and sourcing the seals. Did anything ever come about ..is there a vendor or more info on the seals?

Thanks

A flurry of Cardone reman'd pumps w/assembled head units have since shown up on eBay, as an example. I think Cardone was covering other brands as well. Looks like those have mostly petered out now.

Spark-surplus claims to have at least one NOS . Not cheap, tho.

I tried following up on the 'honda seals' but only noted one episode of them in use, with no long term followup. The seals themselves are easy to find and low cost, but they don't appear to be brake fluid safe?

If you can't afford NOS, my advice is to find a worn pump with decent seal and see if Jose Nunez can still re-brush it.

If you're intent on crossing over, keep in mind that the SC's circuitry uses a pair each of power and ground from the pump, presumably to reduce harness current load.

Here's something that may be of interest....https://www.ebay.com/itm/224032231590?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

Advertised as ABS pump for Jags ...I have purchased one and will compare to my Merkur Scorpio pump. Stay tuned for pics. It may help SC owners.

Best
Steve
Looks like it could work!!?? See pics of measurements.
Steve

Attachments

• ABS Pump OEM VS Replacement-1.jpg
    ABS Pump OEM VS Replacement-1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 13
  • ABS Pump OEM VS Replacement-2.png
    ABS Pump OEM VS Replacement-2.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 13
To help new visitors I hope posting this link to a previous ABS pump thread is ok
Great info on one of the seals in the pump.
I will soon take delivery of a sacrificial pump. I hope to take it apart as was shown on the linked thread....

Regards
Steve

Back