WTH. Does no one sell 275/50/16?

Tazer999

All I can find is 295/50/16, and I wanted 275's.

Would the 295's fit in our wheelwells without any changes?

fast Ed

Ryan, many years ago before you had your drivers' license, BFG made the size 275-50-16 in the first generation Comp T/A VR, and then in the Comp T/A VR4. I had a pair of the Comp VRs many years ago, and sold them to a buddy for the back of his Mark VII LSC. Don't know of any of the tire manufacturers making that size now ... too bad, because the diameter on that size is just about perfect for an SC. BFG now has the regular Radial T/A in 265-50-16, which is 26.5" tall. But it's only S-rated, and not really a serious performance tire if that's what you were hoping for.

cheers
Ed N.

Tazer999

Tony: Buddies at kal tire said they were 8.5" or 9", I can't remember.

I can always take in one of the 3 with flat tires and have them take the tire off and re-check, *shrug*

fast Ed

Ryan, 16x9 is not very common, esp. I would think in a T-Bird 5 on 4.25" pattern rim. Even 8.5" is not seen too often for our cars. Make sure when you're determining the wheel width, measure from the INSIDE of the bead lips across the rim. The lips are usually about 1/2" wide each, so a rim that measures 9 inches outside edge to outside edge is rated as an 8 inch wide wheel. You may already be familiar with this, but it's some good info for people not as familiar with wheel and tire stuff who may be looking at buying aftermarket wheels, especially used ones.

cheers
Ed N.

Tazer999

Yah, I gathered Ed is fairly smart.

Ed: I saw on some guys webpage he had Falken SE502's or something in 225/60 and 275/50. I searched falkens webpage, but could not find that size listed. Would this be another previous make of a tire I cannot get?

fast Ed

Could be Ryan ... I don't recall Falken havng that size in recent memory. Does that guy's page have a e-mail link, you can send him a message and get the specifics on his tires ??

BTW, that would be a good way to get MASSIVE understeer in an SC, have the rear tires 2 inches wider than the fronts !! :p (If you care about that)

cheers
Ed N.

Tazer999

Ok, well whats thw widest tire that will fit in the rear without modifications? If I did get a 295, what exactly would I need to do to make it fit.

BlackAnSC

I'm almost Positive those rims are not 8.5" wide man. Recall that a Stock rim is a mere 7". And if i can recall seeing the tires on those rims when they were on Ray's car, it looked just like the 245's on my stock rims, Buldging out the sides... Id really be interested in you putting a Ruler to them, let me know!

fast Ed

Tazer999 said:
Ok, well whats thw widest tire that will fit in the rear without modifications? If I did get a 295, what exactly would I need to do to make it fit.

Ryan, the answer to that is, as with many things, it depends !!

When going for a maximum size tire fitment, the first thing to figure out is the exact width and offset or rear spacing on the wheels you're going to use. The situation you may run into is that the wheels you have are fine for a 225 to 255 width tire as far as fitting under the fender okay, and not rubbing on the inside of the wheelwell ... BUT ... when you go with a wider tire on that same rim, it hangs off the sides of the rim farther, and rubs either inside or out depending on the rim offset.

A 295 could go under the back of a Bird, probably some fender lip trimming or rolling would be required regardless, but the rim offset would have to be bang-on to position it properly inside to outside in the fender opening. The other factor is tire diameter as well ... that 295-50-16 you're looking at is about 1" taller than stock size. I ran into minor clearance issues on mine this year, just with the 255-45-18 on 8-1/2" rims at +35 offset. Those tires are about 27" tall, not quite 1/2" taller than stock, and I had to have the rear fender lips trimmed slightly. And the last thing to keep in mind, because our cars are mass-produced domestic lumps of pooh, often they aren't the same side-to-side ! There was about 1/4" difference in clearance from left to right on my car.

Sorry for being so long-winded (as usual) :p

cheers
Ed N.